The Pursuit of Online Entrepreneurship
Podcast Episode 028 – How to Get Your Mind Unstuck When Growing Your Online Business
How to Get Your Mind Unstuck When Growing Your Online Business
4 Strategies to Keep You Moving Forward
Have you set goals for your business that you just can’t seem to reach?
Maybe you constantly judge yourself and lower your expectations because you have low confidence. Maybe you feel overwhelmed and can’t figure out what your next step should be, so you just don’t take a next step. Maybe (this one’s my personal favorite), your inner voice is being mean to you, telling you that you can’t do it, and leaving you paralyzed.
If you’re business is stuck in a rut, it could be for any number of reasons. The truth is, we get in our own way ALL the time. You might be thinking your reasons are external—a lack of money, time, or support from loved ones, for example. Or maybe your reasons are sheerly internal, like the ones we mentioned above. Either way, I’ve got some tough love for you . . . Those “reasons” are just EXCUSES.
Now I know what you’re thinking. “Veronica, you’re being so harsh! You don’t know my story. My reasons are legitimate.” You’re not wrong! I’m sure your reasons feel huge and valid and impenetrable! But that doesn’t mean you have to let them hold power over you.
Somewhere deep down, you already know the truth: Change doesn’t just happen to us; it’s an inside job. (You do know that, right?)
Internal change is almost always uncomfortable. Sometimes it’s downright painful! But if you hit play today with a genuine desire to get your business out of the rut you’ve found yourself in, the very first step is acknowledging that YOU have to be the catalyst creating momentum and pushing your business forward. Makes sense, right?
So that’s exactly what we’re talking about in today’s episode: How to Get Your Mind Unstuck When Growing Your Online Business. Are you ready? Let’s get started!
WHAT DOES BEING STUCK LOOK LIKE IN YOUR BUSINESS?
We’ve already identified the biggest reason why your business is getting stuck (hint: It’s your mindset), so the next step is to determine exactly what “stuck” looks like in your business. Obviously, I don’t know the ins and outs of your business. But I do know what patterns tend to pop up. If I had to guess, I’d say recently, you probably put time into developing a new offer, prepping for a launch, planning a course, or something similar . . . And that it didn’t generate the results you were counting on. The arc looks something like this:
- You have an initial idea—so exciting!
- You start working on that idea. It’s harder than you anticipated. There are a lot of moving pieces and question marks.
- Maybe you stop there. Maybe you see it through to launch.
- Things don’t work out the way you wanted.
- You feel dejected, frustrated, and uncertain about what to do next.
Sound familiar? I know that story because I LIVED that story. Listen to the episode to hear the full story of my first launch. Spoiler alert: NOTHING went the way I expected it to go. But after the mess was made, I had a choice: Let my negative experience keep me from trying again. Focus on what I learned, study those lessons, make some adjustments, and try again. The fact that I’m here talking to you is evidence of which choice I made. And I’m SO glad I found the strength to keep pushing. As online business owners, it’s so easy to get caught on the negatives. Whatever your version of “stuck” is, I want to encourage you right now to let them go for a second and grasp onto some of the positives. What are some ideas that got you fired up initially? What worked well? What successes did you experience, no matter how small? Focus on those things—the positives and the lessons—as we head into the next section: strategizing.
4 STRATEGIES TO KEEP YOU MOVING FORWARD
A success-oriented mindset is an amazing start, but let’s be real: You’re here for the meaty stuff. The actions that you can implement to start changing your business TODAY. In today’s episode, we’re delving into four strategies you can use to keep moving forward. You’ll find the short version below, but I’d encourage you to give the episode a listen to get the full explanation and action plan behind each of these.
YOUR 4 STRATEGIES
- Let Go of the Past. Stop replaying your past mistakes. You CAN’T undo them! All you can do is make a few notes to keep in mind as you move FORWARD. Forgive yourself (and others, if necessary), drop the baggage, and set your sites on your next win.
- Change Your Perspective. Commit to having a better attitude toward learning experiences. Try looking at your business through different lenses. Activities like journaling, meditating, listening to podcasts, reading a new book, or even just taking your dog on a long walk can help quiet your mental noise and make space for new perspectives to emerge.
- Start With Small Changes. You simply can’t overhaul your business in one night (if you figure out how to, let me know!). It’s been scientifically proven that change stimulates new parts of your brain, encouraging creativity and clarity. So start making small changes: a new morning routine, a new weekly schedule, a new way of organizing the furniture in your office, coffee meetups with new people. Every small new shift has the power to start a chain reaction!
- Believe in Yourself. This is the seemingly really simply thing with the power to change everything. You have to be prepared to leave your comfort zone, and when you do, you HAVE to go forward with confidence in your abilities! We sabotage ourselves on a daily basis. So get out of your own way, have a little faith, and see what happens.
One last note: I never said, “Practice makes perfect.” Don’t fall into the trap of believing that your goal should be perfection. Instead, focus on embracing mistakes, change, and growth. Practice creates forward momentum.
I hope you enjoyed today’s episode of The Pursuit of Online Entrepreneurship! I’d love to hear from you. Scroll down a little further to that comments box and tell me: What’s happened in your business that’s keeping you stuck? Loving this podcast? Spread that love around! If you haven’t yet, please take 20 seconds to subscribe and share a review on iTunes. It means the world to me to hear your feedback, you’ll get subscriber alerts so you never miss an episode, and it’s the best way to help us continue to grow our online community. Thank you for showing up for me, for yourself, and for your business. See you next time!
Recently On The Pursuit of Online Entrepreneurship Podcast
The Pursuit of Online Entrepreneurship Podcast Why Scaling Up Sometimes Means Slowing Down Do you ever find yourself procrastinating on something you KNOW you need to get done? Maybe it’s because you just don’t want to do it, but in a lot of cases, I think...
The Pursuit of Online Entrepreneurship Podcast How to Run Your Own Race (Especially When Launching or Growing A Business) About 12 years ago, I headed over to my childhood girlfriend’s house, a box of Krispy Kreme donuts in tow (they weren’t all for us—she has...
The Pursuit of Online Entrepreneurship Podcast How to Stop Caring What Others Think WARNING: if you’re serious about building a successful business online, you’ll have to learn how to handle the haters and the trolls that are going to come for you. It’s one of...